Monday, May 12, 2014

Very Brief Film Reviews: Moulin Rouge! (2001)

Moulin Rouge!
2001
Baz Luhrmann (director, writer), Craig Pearce (writer)
Starring Nicole Kidman, Ewan McGregor, John Leguizamo

It took me years to see this after it first came out, but when I did, I liked it, I really did. Occasionally I wanted to smack people, but I liked it, and the more times I've seen it since, the more I've fallen in love with it.

A young man goes to Paris at the turn of the 20th century to Be Part Of Art and falls madly in love with a dancer/prostitute who aspires to be a serious actress. Together they try to defy the odds and, in true bohemian fashion, have both Love and Art.

This is melodrama at its finest, and musicals at their finest, using well-known modern songs in new contexts. And it really is fun. Starring an anexoric Nicole Kidman and doe-eyed Ewan McGregor, both of whom are truly terrific singers and actors.

Definitely recommended.

IMDB Link: Moulin Rouge! 

No comments:

Post a Comment