Friday, May 23, 2014

Very Brief Film Reviews: Martin Chuzzlewit (1994)

Martin Chuzzlewit
1994
Pedr James (director), David Lodge (screenplay), Charles Dickens (story)
Starring Paul Scofield, Pauline Turner, Philip Franks


Masterpiece Theater TV mini-series dramatization of the Charles Dickens story. I didn't expect to like it - I don't generally enjoy Dickens. But I did, I really did. The villains were marvelously foul and despicable, and the heroes were noble and good (except for a few who were rather awful to begin with but got themselves sorted out eventually). It was fun!

I actually got caught up in the story and the characters, and found that its grittiness felt sharp rather than preachy. The acting was terrific, and Paul Scofield is a stunningly good-looking old man. Much fun.

IMDB: Martin Chuzzlewit

No comments:

Post a Comment