Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Very Brief Film Reviews: Chasing Amy (1997)

Chasing Amy
1997
Kevin Smith (director, writer)
Starring Ben Affleck, Joey Lauren Adams, Ethan Suplee


A pair of best friends' professional and personal relationship is tested, along with many of their assumptions, when one of them falls in love with a lesbian.

I saw a real run of disappointing movies right around this time. I've loved most of Kevin Smith's other movies, but this one failed to deliver. Is it just because it's kind of outdated at this point, and all the lesbian stereotypes/misconceptions have already been aired to anyone who isn't living under a rock, or because I just already know all this stuff myself and find it boring to deal with? Also, dude, NO MENTION of bisexuality at all - it was all "lesbian" or "straight," which is absurd and disappointing: offensive in real life and boring in a film about sexual orientation.

I also found the characterizations less thoughtful and interesting than in some of his other movies; I didn't develop any real connection or interest in any of them, and found Holden to be frankly kind of a shallow dipshit.

Either way, I was sad. I wish I'd seen it in high school, when it first came out and was likely more relevant to both society and to me.


IMDB: Chasing Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment